Adoption Procedures and Expectations
Dear potential adopters,
Niagara Dog Rescue appreciates your interest in our dogs. We will do everything in our power to ensure that the application process is a smooth one. Here is what you can expect:
- Complete the adoption application. The more detail you can add into your application, the easier it will be for our adoption team to match you with a dog that will fit your family.
- Once your application has been received, you should received an automatic email acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The applications are submitted electronically and things can happen that are out of our control. If you do not receive an automated reply that your application has been received, please submit again.
- If your application is a match to one of our dogs, a volunteer from the adoption team will request to have a telephone interview to discuss the application. Please note that our adoptions team receives a large number of applications. While we do our best to respond in a timely manner, application processing times are currently 4-8 weeks. We do the best we can with our network of volunteers. Please be patient.
- If the interview is successful, we will then check references. It is helpful for our volunteers if you have contacted your references to let them know that you have applied to adopt from NDR as volunteers use their own personal phones to make the calls and are not identified as NDR.
- Once the references are checked, we will request to have a home visit. We understand that this can be a tricky to schedule but it is necessary to ensure the safety of the dog. (there will be instances where photos, or a virtual visit of your home may be done in lieu of an actual home visit)
- Once the home visit has been completed, the adoption lead will assess whether you are approved for adopting from NDR. If you are not approved to adopt you will not be eligible to rescue a dog with NDR. Niagara Dog Rescue reserves the right to reject any application.
- If the dog is in Canada there may be an opportunity to meet the dog. If all goes well with the meet and greet and it is determined that you are the best fit for the dog, you will be sent an adoption agreement to complete and sign. The adoption fee is requested at this time and must be received by NDR before pickup of the dog.
IF you are approved to adopt from us, there are there are 3 options:
If the dog is a great fit for your family, we will send you the adoption agreement with instructions to finalize the adoption.
2. FOSTER TO ADOPT
You will take the dog home and have one week to decide if you wish to keep finalize the adoption. If you decide not to keep the dog you agree to continue to foster until we find a forever home for him/her
3. MEET & GREET
If the dog is in foster already, you can make arrangements to date the dog. In other words, you can meet a dog and spend time getting to know them. This helps immensely in cases of allergies and getting along with all family members. It is highly recommended that ALL family members attend the meet and greet. If all goes well with the meet and greet and it is determined that you are the best fit for the dog, you will be sent an adoption agreement to complete and sign.
The Adoption fee
The Adoption fee is requested at this time and must be received before pickup of the dog.
Dog < 1 year $550
Dog 1 to <7 $500
Senior 7+ $350