APPLYING FOR ADOPTION
We are dedicated to finding our dogs a forever home where they can be loved, well cared for, and a part of your family for the rest of their life. Please be sure you and every member of your family is onboard to adopt at this time. Our wish is for the animals and the adoptive family alike to be happy, thus resulting in a permanent, happy, forever home. Thank you for your understanding.
Jump down to adoption form
To help cover the costs associated with rescuing dogs, the fees cover vetting, boarding, transportation, spay/neuter, HW testing, rabies and DHLPP vaccines and, in some cases microchip, prior to adoption.
- Dog <1 year: $800
- Dog 1 to <8 years: $650
- Senior 8+ years: $450
- Special needs: $450
- Puppy <8 months: $550 USD (temporarily for US adopters only due to border closure)
- Legacy dog: $750
Niagara Dog Rescue (NDR) appreciates your interest in our dogs. We will do everything in our power to ensure that the adoption process is a smooth one.
Here are the steps you can expect:
- Complete the adoption application. The more detail you can add into your application, the easier it will be for our adoption team to match you with a dog that will fit your family.
- Once your application has been received, you should received an automatic email acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The applications are submitted electronically and things can happen that are out of our control. If you do not receive an automated reply that your application has been received, please submit again.
- If your application is a match to one of our dogs, a volunteer from the adoption team will request to have a telephone interview to discuss the application. Please note that our adoptions team receives a large number of applications. While we do our best to respond in a timely manner, application processing times are currently 4-8 weeks. We do the best we can with our network of volunteers. Please be patient.
- If the interview is successful, we will then check references. It is helpful for our volunteers if you have contacted your references to let them know that you have applied to adopt from NDR as volunteers use their own personal phones to make the calls and are not identified as NDR.
- Once the references are checked, we will request to have a home visit. We understand that this can be a tricky to schedule but it is necessary to ensure the safety of the dog. (there will be instances where photos, or a virtual visit of your home may be done in lieu of an actual home visit)
- Once the home visit has been completed, the adoption lead will assess whether you are approved for adopting from NDR. If you are not approved to adopt you will not be eligible to rescue a dog with NDR. Niagara Dog Rescue reserves the right to reject any application.
- If the dog is in Canada there may be an opportunity to meet the dog. If all goes well with the meet and greet and it is determined that you are the best fit for the dog, you will be sent an adoption agreement to complete and sign. The adoption fee is requested at this time and must be received by NDR before pickup of the dog.